What can you expect?
As a Student Researcher you will be working
directly with one of the experienced WDSS
exec member or associate (either a finalist or a
postgaduate student). To allow for the best
match between your personal interest and our
expertise the exact details of the projects
are still up in the air. We are the most
excited to work with you in the following
- Bayesian Data Analsysis
- Clustering and Dimensionality Reduction
- Natural Language Processing
- Algorithmic Game Theory
- Social Networks
- Graph Neural Networks
- Computational Chemistry
- Computational Statistics
A crucial aspect of WDSS projects is the
interdisiplinarity. The potential application
areas cover: political sciences, sports analytics,
medicine, biology, chemistry, economics,
And we are always happy to explore new
To help you start thinking about the project,
here are some rough ideas proposed by us:
- Sentiment analysis on Twitter responses for political cartoons and their evolution over time.
- Clustering of political regions based on census and electoral data.
- Quick-Count models, how to (efficiently) estimate the result of an election the same night?
- The use of machine learning or non-parametric statistics in clinical trials - e.g. How to compare multiple hazard rate functions?
- Is the contextual sensitivity of BERT word embeddings worth the increased computational cost?
- Natural Language Processing for football players transfer value.
- Who are you most likely to make friends with? Graph Neural Networks for link predictions.
- Crackind down drug cartels with agent-based modelling and Network Science.
- How to solve the markets? A review of algorithmic trading strategies.
- Financial time series analysis — conventional vs. novel approaches.
- Data dirven approach for building a perfect movie / song playlist.
How to Apply
Use the application button on this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The body of your application should include
your CV together with one paragraph for
each of the following points:
- What is your experience with Data Science / Machine Learning or any other relevant experience ?
- What are your interests? Do you want to learn more and do research about a specific methodology?
Are you more interested in an applied data analsyis project?
What is the application area that you are most interested in?
Perhaps you can make a connection with your personal hobbies?
- If you have a particular idea for a project in mind, please provide us with a short description. (optional)
We will promptly get in touch to discuss the role further.